Monday, April 24, 2006

Here we go again...

Yup, you guessed it. Dad was moved back to ICU today. Mom called Kim this afternoon, and this is what Kim wrote me after... "Apparently, dad is back in intensive care due to a hemorrhage through his colostomy bag today. I believe it occurred after his dialysis and was a result of an ulcer (?). His blood dropped to 42 and so he has received two blood transfusions today. Also, his potassium is quite high for whatever reason. Mom wasn't quite sure herself. Dad's doctor, Dr. Stimpson, is still quite positive that dad will be moved back to step-down tomorrow, barring further incidents."

I just spoke with his nurse (Sarah) and she said that there are two ulcers in his stomach, but that they're not actively bleeding, and they've got him on meds to help the ulcers heal, so that's good. He has perked up quite a bit since the second unit of blood, but he's back on the ventilator, and none too happy about it. I'd hate to be her tonight. Dad might not be able to talk, but he'll still be grumpy :P

Gah, it kills me that I can't be closer, and that I can't do anything to help dad get better. I feel so friggin helpless here on the other end of the world. I know ICU is the best place for him while he's tryin to get better, but man. I hate that he's suffering, and I can't do anything.

And, to top it all off, there's a friggin flood advisory out for the Swan River valley. Grrrrrrrrrreat! Just what we need. Ugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home