On the road again...
Last year was crazy. Between the end of July and New Years, I had set foot in 7/10 provinces. I swore that this year wasn’t going to be like that. Well, guess what? It’s sure shaping up the same way.
I got up and went to work like usual this morning. By 9 am (I only rolled in at 8:25), I was a sobbing mess. The fact I couldn’t be home for dad’s surgery was killing me (I think I mentioned that earlier this week?). I just broke down at my desk, and started checking flights, a sure sign I’m homesick. Well lookie that – flights to Regina for only $244 each way. Five minutes later, I’d consulted with E at work and J, and I was booked on a flight to Regina at 4pm. Wha? I don’t DO things like that. EVER. I took 2 minutes to call my aunt and uncle in Regina, and then broke down again, mostly out of relief. I was going to be home to support mom and dad this next week!!! So, a few more tears, and I told my boss what the state of all my files was (eek!) and home I go. Ran a few errands, did some laundry, ate, packed, and off I went!
I’m so very relieved for two reasons. First, I have a wonderful boss who values family, and totally understood why I had to go. Even though I assured him yesterday that I “wouldn’t go unless there was bad news”, he realizes that people can have a change of heart. I think he’d expect his girls to do the same, honestly. Second, I get to be with mom and dad to help out however possible. I couldn’t be there for them when dad had his brain surgery in October, and it was really hard. Even though I was in the same city as them, I didn’t know they were there. That was tough. Doesn’t have to be that way now. I felt bad for leaving my coworkers in a lurch, as it’s that dreaded time of year for accountants, but I had to go. I’ll work my arse off in April, I just couldn’t stay in Halifax right now.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home